Scarth Memorial Hall in Staindrop village was built in 1875, in memory of Thomas Freshfield Scarth, land agent to Lord Barnard, Duke of Cleveland of Raby Castle. An extension to the rear was added in the 1920’s in memory of the Staindrop men who died in the First World War. A brass plaque in the smaller room draws attention to this. In November 2018 to mark the centenary of the end of WW1 a new list of the fallen will be unveiled by Lord Barnard.
During the Second World War, the hall was used to provide NAAFI (Navy, Army and Air Force Institutes) facilities to soldiers stationed in Staindrop. In the late 1940s/1950s, there was a cinema in the main Hall, and the upstairs was used as a reading room with newspapers and books.
Following a major programme of improvement and refurbishment which was completed in September 2016, there is once again a cinema in Scarth Hall, as well as an IT suite and a range of modern, accessible facilities. Most importantly it is a hall that is owned and managed by the people of Staindrop under the banner ‘a hall for all’. We look forward to welcoming you!