Scarth Hall is used for many different purposes by a wide range of people. Please read and keep to the Booking Conditions so that we can all continue to enjoy affordable, clean and safe facilities. See also hire charges and book the hall.
Booking procedure: All hirers must complete and sign a booking form – links to download are below but printed copies are available on request.
Form for one-off hires (eg for parties, meetings, annual or infrequent events)
Form for regular hires (eg for tutors organising a weekly or monthly class)
Induction: All Hall users will receive an Induction from a Scarth Hall representative to familiarise them with the relevant procedures, equipment, policies, and risk assessments if applicable.
Security/arriving and leaving for your booking: When you arrive, the Hall will be open and set up to meet the requirements agreed at the time of booking (certain groups may have an arrangement to set up themselves). The caretaker or a Scarth Hall representative will wait for you to arrive, and will be there at the end of your class or event to secure the building.
Please ensure that you vacate the Hall at the agreed end time of your hire period.
The Hall must never be left unlocked/unattended once opened – please contact the caretaker if you need to leave the building unexpectedly during your hire period (but note that the caretaker may not be in a position to make repeated visits to lock/unlock the Hall).
- All exits, and access routes to them, MUST be kept clear at all times.
- The hirer may only use the room(s) and equipment agreed at the time of booking. Children are not allowed in the upstairs rooms unsupervised.
- Hall hirers/event organisers should show proper consideration to nearby residents when leaving the Hall.
- The hirer must give notice at the time of booking if any electrical equipment is to be brought into the Hall. A current portable appliance test (PAT) certificate is required for each piece of electrical equipment.
- The hirer must exercise care when using the Hall and must treat the contents with respect, referring to the instructions in this document when needed. Any equipment used must be safely stored away at the end of your event.
- Each room has a maximum capacity which must not be exceeded – see Book the hall.
- Hall users should treat each other with courtesy and respect at all times, and use the facilities at Scarth Hall in a spirit of mutual co-operation.
- If you have paid to use Scarth Hall please use the Hirer feedback form to tell us about your experience. See also our Complaints policy.
Breakages, damages, faults: It’s important that you report any breakages, damages, or faults promptly so that we can arrange to repair/replace etc. Please telephone the caretaker, or email us if it’s non-urgent. The hirer is normally expected to pay for any breakages or damages caused by the hirer or their group/party.
Cleaning, rubbish and waste: All hirers are expected to leave Scarth Hall clean and tidy at the end of your hire period. If this does not happen you’ll be asked to pay cleaning charges and you are asked to agree to this at the time of booking (for function hire you can arrange to pay for cleaning services by advance arrangement).
If the Hall is not clean and tidy when you arrive for your booking, please report this to us immediately – call 07881 248478 or email email@example.com. Please take all rubbish home with you if possible. If you’ve used the kitchen bins (with the exception of the paper recycling bin) please tie the bin liners closed at the end of your hire period.
If you’ve used the Joe Hodgson room or the Training room, please do not leave any food, drink, or waste of any kind in those rooms. Place these items directly in the outdoor wheelie bins or take them home with you.
Spills: If a minor spill occurs while you are using the Hall (eg a water bottle during a fitness class), mop it up with paper towels from the dispenser to the left of the kitchen sink. Put up a yellow warning board (in the kitchen cupboard) if necessary to ensure the safety of your group while the liquid is drying.
Stocks: We try to keep Scarth Hall well-stocked with supplies of tea, coffee, hand soap, paper towels, etc but do let us know if you spot anything which needs topping up. Contact the caretaker or email us.
Seated audiences for concerts etc: The following applies:
- There must be a clearly defined aisle down the centre of the hall and to both sides of the hall.
- There must be an aisle running parallel to the front of the stage.
- These aisles must be kept clear at all times. The hirer must be satisfied that these arrangements have been made before the function begins and are adhered to throughout the function.
Smoking: Smoking (including e-cigarettes/vaping) is not permitted anywhere in Scarth Memorial Hall.
Animals: No unauthorised animals are allowed in Scarth Hall.
Alcohol consumption at Scarth Hall: A fully-licensed bar can be provided for your event, supplying soft and alcoholic drinks at very reasonable prices.
No alcohol may be sold on the premises other than that provided by Scarth Hall.
If you have hired the Hall for a function and would like to provide your own wine or champagne for a toast, this is permitted by advance arrangement. A corkage charge may apply.
Scarth Hall is happy to source and supply wine and champagne for toasts.
Licences: Scarth Hall is licensed for the sale and consumption of alcohol as follows:
- Sunday to Thursday, 12.00 noon till midnight
- Friday and Saturday, 12.00 noon till 1.00 am
Scarth Hall has an “on and off” licence which allows customers to take home alcohol purchased on the premises.
PRS/PPL: The hall has a PRS/PPL licence which permits music.
Payment terms – see hire charges